Secret Soldiers: Civil War Heroines in Disguise
While the Civil War rages on outside the walls of the Marine U.S.A. General Hospital, another conflict arises inside. A nurse has discovered that injured Private Lyons Wakeman is actually Sarah Wakeman, a woman! Should the hospital registry be changed to prove that women can fight in battle? Or should it stay intact so Sarah can receive her earned pension and her family avoid shame?
Based on over 250 military accounts of women who fought as Union soldiers, the audience will hear testimony from historical characters like Harriet Tubman and members of the first African American regiment, act as jury, and deliver the verdict on Private Lyons’ fate.
NCT welcomes all kids and families to our performances, but we know that some families hesitate to bring their children to live theatre without knowing how they might react. Sensory Friendly Performances are designed to be a safe and accepting environment where children with disabilities and their typically developing peers are free to speak and move in reaction to the story being told onstage.
For $8 tickets, please use code SECRET at checkout!
- Sound levels will be lowered slightly
- Usher-Guide will light a glow light before something startling is about to happen onstage
- Relaxed house rules that invite audience members to vocalize and move in reaction to the story onstage.
- Pre-Visit Story
- A Parent Tip Sheet for each show, available one week prior to the Sensory Friendly Performance found here.
- A Comfort Room in the rear of the auditorium, where light and sound levels can be adjusted (available for all public performances). Noise reducing headphones can be checked out from our box office (available for all public performances).
- A quiet room for families who need to take a break during the show
Organization Contact: Megan Bleil (email@example.com)
TRIAD Contact: Kristin Dorris (firstname.lastname@example.org)