Vanderbilt Kennedy Center Reading Clinic
A clinic providing one-on-one instruction for struggling readers. We offer instructional reading services for K-8 students of all abilities, who need additional supports, strategies, and targeted reading practices.
An Innovative Approach
The emphasis of this clinic is on helping children with reading difficulties make maximal gains in reading. We provide non-diagnostic entrance testing for placement purposes and progress monitoring to keep track of student progress so that the instructional program can be individually tailored to the student's needs.
How The Reading Clinic Works
- During the Fall & Spring semester, tutoring sessions are 55 minutes in duration, 2 times per week, for 11 weeks. NOTE: In an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19, all tutoring sessions will be held over Zoom. The tutoring times range from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and sessions tend to start on the hour. The Reading Clinic first piloted the virtual approach this summer, and the reviews from families and tutors alike were very positive!
- Summer sessions are 50 minutes in duration, 4 times per week for 6 weeks.
- Please contact the Reading Clinic for information about our program.
- All students are given non-diagnostic assessments to determine specific reading needs.
- Ambitious but realistic goals are determined for the tutoring period.
- Progress is measured regularly, and instruction is adjusted accordingly.
- Parents will receive regular updates on their child’s progress in tutoring.
- Tutoring is provided by qualified teachers from the community or undergraduate and graduate students supervised by Reading Clinic faculty and staff.
- Tutor specialty areas, degrees, and professions include: low incidence disabilities, speech-language pathology, high incidence disabilities, early childhood, general education teachers
(K-8), behavior analysts, and reading specialists.
- The cost per term is $1,250.
Interested in enrollment?
Enrollment is now open for Spring 2021 tutoring sessions, held completely online. The spring term will run from Monday, Feb. 1 through Apr. 15. The cost will be $1,250, and the sessions will occur two times a week for 55 minutes per session. Spaces are limited and the priority deadline is Jan. 15, 2021. Fill out this survey.
Learn about The Britt Henderson Training Series for Educators: ECHO Reading.
Learn about Team William Scholarships for struggling readers with Down syndrome.