Task Design Consultation and Presentation
Consultation on experimental design for ERP and MRI including E-prime programming, audio-visual stimuli/cognitive task development, audio-visual system use, and facilitating connections with other IDDRC investigators who have expertise in particular areas (e.g., attention).
Services range from adapting existing behavioral paradigms for use with EEG/ERP/ET and Magnetic Resonance Imaging, to implementation of established EEG/ERP and Magnetic Resonance Imaging paradigms, and development of novel auditory/visual/tactile paradigms optimized for IDD research.
- The Core provides assistance in IRB protocol development for Magnetic Resonance Imaging and EEG/ERP studies.
- The Core provides expertise and training in Magnetic Resonance Imaging mock scanning procedures.
- The Core provides EEG/ERP desensitization visits for participants and their families in advance of study data collection.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging Core C has a repository of exam cards available for investigators. Additionally, new/optimized technologies are continuously being developed by VUIIS engineers and physicists. Core C ensures that users can take advantage of these technologies by coordinating with VUIIS for MR sequence implementation. Standardizing MRS protocols and multi-band imaging (which allows for higher quality and faster data acquisition, important for IDDs) are two examples of this service.
Human Neurophysiology Lab offers 128-channel EEG (resting state and/or task-specific), EEG with event-specific markups for subsequent ERP derivation, and eye tracking.
- Mobile EEG lab is available for off-campus data collections (e.g., schools, group homes, conference sites).
- Data collection can be performed entirely by HPL staff or by the lab staff in combination with the study personnel.
- The lab is also experienced with multisite studies, ensuring precise cross-site implementation of the experimental protocols and serving as the central point for data processing and statistical analyses.
Data Processing and Analysis
Core C provides assistance in data processing and analysis for both Magnetic Resonance Imaging and EEG/ERP/eye tracking data.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Core C (a) offers trainings to teach individuals to perform Magnetic Resonance Imaging analyses and (b) provides automated routines for exporting and organizing raw Magnetic Resonance Imaging data collected at VUIIS.
Human Neurophysiology Lab (a) All human data EEG/ERP processing is performed by Core C staff, unless otherwise requested. This includes data quality review, artifact detection and removal ) or correction, electrode montage transformations, and data export. (b) Core C offers training on EEG/ERP data processing and analysis procedures.
Development of Robust Magnetic Resonance Imaging Processing Approaches
Core C employs techniques to address data quality (mostly due to motion artifacts, but also anatomical structural variability) that are often problematic for IDD scans.
MRI and EEG/ERP Data Interpretation
Upon request, one-on-one and small group consultation is available; statistical analysis consultation with the Biostatistics and Data Sciences Core E can be arranged.
Additionally, the Human Neurophysiology Lab can assist with final report preparation (e.g., posters, talks, manuscripts) and range from consultations on data interpretation to written method, analysis, and results sections.